4.07.2006

Well, what can I say? I don't want to talk about the Media today, and I'm sorry about not doing it on Tuesday but life is like that. I had an idea this morning as I was making my sandwitch and trying to ignore my golden's buttery brown eyes that stared me down and chanted silently, "Give me food. Give me food." Then, as I often do early in the morning, I started thinking about politics, and what the citizen can do about them. This citizen often does little more than rant under a Roman Wolf alias and explain political theory to a canus familiaris but one day no doubt I'll be doing a lot more, and under my real name at that. As I was going to say before going off on a tangent, I had an idea to try and make government more under citizen's control, or at least reason's. Say there was a commision, not composed of equal number of Democrats and Republicans but of the lesser political parties who have far less say in the elected government and composed a silent and often disgruntled minority. That commision would serve as a check on all three branches of government, writing regular reports on the performance of all three that could be acessed by the general public. This would serve to correct certain disparities of American government.
Firstly, many people feel that the third parties are worthless, and hesitate to vote for them for fear that it would be "Throwing away their votes". This might show those people that the third parties can act, and would, if given the chance. In the long run, it may even increase the number of powerful political parties on the spectrum at a time when neither party seems to be worth voting for. John Kerry was not a very good candidate for president in 04, he simply was somebody other than Bush. If there were more dominant parties, there would be more viable options for president.
Secondly, many Americans feel out of touch with politics, and this could be a chance for them to feel something is being done at the higher levels.
Thirdly, with only minorities, party loyalty and subsequent covering for their friends could be eliminated. Anyone who thinks that this isn't a problem should google Scooter Libby and remember that Bush once swore that people who leaked information should be punished. Then the punishment stopped before Cheney, and far below himself.
If you like this idea, please, please leave me a comment. I am always open to discussion.

Roman Wolf

No comments:

Lobolius, The Roman Wolf

My photo
Long ago a wolf did howl in the day, as a river flowed and the ocean called. But the wolf lay down by another shore, and then became a tree.