7.19.2008

Obama

My deepest apologies for the wait. Life, as often happens to those who are young and busy and facebook obsessed often doesn't grant us time in our blogs as we might wish. Not to say there is nothing to talk about, because, in seasons such as this, there is much to talk about, more than there has been for awhile.

So what shall I say? Shall I tell you that my last post was written in despair, as I feared Barack Obama would fail my generation in its deepest hopes and demands and needs? I shall, and it shall be the truth. I do fear that Barack Obama will not be the president we imagine him to be. I fear that he will be the dreamer in whom we trust, but that the age of the 21st century will not be kind to dreams, as it was unkind to the dreams of Jimmy Carter, and for the next thirty years he will be a fortgettable president, doomed to helping the weak and unfortunate as only we normal Americans can.

For thousands upon thousands of Americans, that is as much, or more, than we can ever accomplish, to help other country men and fellows of the Earth. Or will ever accomplish, let me say, because we do not try. I do what I can, but I am just one person, and despite the power of one person, I do not think I could ever do enough. And I certainly cannot do as much as Barack Obama can.

He has the power to hypnotize a lost and worried generation who were raised to politics with the shadow of a draft, the horror of war, and the anger at a Republican Party that has forgetten the small in favor of the rich. He has the power to harness new life and energy of this generation and drive it into his campaign. As a young college student, I have the honor of seeing that drive in the eyes of liberal friends speaking of Barack Obama, and their hopes for him.

If he is to be a great president, or any president all it, it will not be enough to harness the power for a win for himself in this election. he must simultaneously harness that power into a win for America, for the world as it might one day be. He is the only politican today with the words capable of harnessing the wildness and frustration the young people, raised with recession and terror and George Bush, and transforming it into a powerful force of America, the same power that has made this country great and threatens to destroy America when it gets wasted.

I think Barack Obama knows that. He was a community organizer. He saw in Chicago many young people who needed to channel their talent, and he wants to expand that to the entire country. If the black community in general had any sense, they would see that the true potential of America, including themselves, lies with Barack's Obama's being heard, not literally castrated by Al Sharpton.

So that is my message. I do not side with politicians lightly, as all of you Lobolians have no doubt seen. But Barack Obama is the first and only to show himself worthy of such a grant, coming even from an online weakling such as myself.

Have a nice day Lobolians

Roman Wolf

No comments:

Lobolius, The Roman Wolf

My photo
Long ago a wolf did howl in the day, as a river flowed and the ocean called. But the wolf lay down by another shore, and then became a tree.