9.07.2007

Remarks on Democracy Part ??

किन्दा करे
No, not Hindi. Want English. Looks cool though, quite different from Roman characters, but being the roman wolf that I am, I hardly could change myself to the Hindi Wolf on a dime.

I was reading down some earlier posts that I had written. One in May caught my eye. I was talking about the Libertarian Republican Candidate who had claimed that taxes only pay for cradle to grave care. I had countered his argument by talking about roads and "crumbling bridges", which nobody wants to drive on. I am from Minnesota. I know the bridge that had fallen, I went out to see where it went down, and I have driven over Minnesotan bridges since then. Sometimes you just gotta pay, or you pay more than just taxes. That is the essence of living in an interactive world. There is no escape from duties that must be done, and there shouldn't be. I don't mean that from any end of the political spectrum, I'll blast anyone who messes with what matters in life, and part of what matters is survival. We all want us, our ideas, our families to survive. Representative Democracy has given us common people our best chance ever. Not the best chance possible. One day a better chance will come. But at least we have the undisputable right to assemble peacably, at least we have the right to make our voices heard in this bright and talkative new age. At least we can decide a very little portion of who makes the decisions from above, so we can control a little more of our destinies. It took two thousand years to come from god-kings, monarchs, rich white man democracy, more monarchs, and finally the 18+ non felon voting rights of today. Two thousand years for women, for African Americans, for eighteen year olds to vote for who send them to war. In 4007, who knows. Maybe sufferage will truly be universal, stretching from planet to planet, all the worlds where mankind can find enough room to live peacefully side by side with one another. One day that may come. I cannot say that it will not, any more than Plato could have wondered about shadows in Mammoth Cave.

Roman Wolf

No comments:

Lobolius, The Roman Wolf

My photo
Long ago a wolf did howl in the day, as a river flowed and the ocean called. But the wolf lay down by another shore, and then became a tree.